Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Putting Stories Online As Audio Podcasts.

View of a podcast track on SoundCloud.


From Paper To Podcast.

When I first began writing Flash Fiction (stories from 750 to 1000 words) in an Indianapolis based writing group I wondered about turning some of them into podcasts.  In this way I could combine my interest and skills in creating story, creative writing, digital audio editing, voice overs, sound environments and sound effects, digital photography and photoshop editing of images.  In 2008 I began to post the podcasts on my mac.me website.  I called it From Paper To Podcast (TM).  When Apple discontinued the website service I needed find another home for my podcasts.

SoundCloud.

The answer was https://soundcloud.com , a site with free space (up to two hours worth) for audio recordings. In January of 2013 I began using SoundCloud in my audio editing work for Storytelling Arts of Indiana's Life Stories Project.  More on that later.

I have a free SoundCloud account.  I edit and mix my audio recordings using Audacity or ProTools and upload them to my page. I also find an appropriate image, often a photograph I have taken or a digital image I have created in photoshop elements.  I am careful to use  copyright and podcast symbols to protect my stuff, my intellectual property if you will.

I have posted different kinds of podcasts on SoundCloud:


  • Storytelling - recordings of traditional oral storytelling usually recorded on location.
  • Memoir - Written stories about my life, read aloud.
  • Flash Fiction - short, short stories usually written in a writing group and recorded as I read it back to the group for the first time.  Often the stories are written in the span of 25 minutes or less.  I call this Flash Writing.


Here is a link to my Sound Cloud page.  Let me know what you think.
https://soundcloud.com/kenoguss

Thanks for reading.

Ken Oguss


Copyright © 2013 by Ken Oguss
All Rights Reserved.



No comments:

Post a Comment